Sunday, September 8, 2013

My dwelling place

My heart started to beat a little bit faster as I sat down tonight to share these words.

Before I spill- I would love for you to stop and read Psalm 91.

Welcome to my newest dwelling place in scripture.

Fitting because the passage is all about one who dwells with Christ.

These words bring such a challenge in my life and, at the same time, great comfort.

In the midst of the calamity and trials of our days- we can trust in our faithful Refuge and Fortress.

This portion of scripture has changed the ways in which I live out my days.

Let's take a moment to claim the promises of this passage-
I found myself tearing up as I made this passage personal.
I encourage you to do the same.
These words are for you this day.

*He will deliver me
*His faithfulness is my shield
*He will command His angels concerning me
*He will be with me trouble
*He will rescue me
*He will satisfy me
*He will show me His salvation


The enemy is at work in the world around us-
We are beaten and bruised.
We are sick and we are rejected.
We are devastated and disappointed.
We walk through the valley of the shadow of death-
but we do not fear and we are not destroyed.
Praise the Lord for his protection and provision in our lives!

Notice that in verse 9 of the passage it says...
"Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place..."

and in verse 14 it says...
"Because he (us) holds fast to me in love..."

Do you see what I see?
We have a role to play in this scenario.

Have I made the Lord my dwelling place?

Another way to ask this question-
To whom do I run when I face the terror of the night?
Where do I seek refuge?



I do not know about you- but I have so often chosen to dwell outside of the shadow of the Lord and in the things of this world. This has always ended in personal defeat and a difficult surrender of self to the Lord.

Tonight I asked some of my girls where they run in times of trouble.

Their answers?

Music.
To their room.
Family.
Friends.

These are the moments that I want to sit down and look into the eyes of each of these sweet girls and say to them-
You are adored!
You are fought for!
You are promised protection by God!


Oh that they could see that they have a Heavenly Father who fights for us and protects us.
Who will defend to the last breath and destroy the enemy without fail.

Don't get me wrong- I have a daddy who I believe with all my heart would slay 1,000 giants to defend me.
But the enemy is bigger than any goliath the world will bring.
This is a battle only God can withstand and come out victor.

Verse 7 of Psalm 91 gives such a powerful image...

"A thousand may fall at your side,
then thousand at your right hand,
but none will come near you."


I sit here and close my eyes and imagine what it is to be a child of God who is in the shadow of the Almighty. Who is guarded in all my ways. Who is covered.

I think about all of the moments when I have chosen to dwell outside of the blessings and provisions of a God who sent His son to die so that I might live.

Why do I choose to hold fast to anything else?

My prayer is that we will DWELL all of the days of our lives in the shelter of the Most High and abide in the shadow of the Almighty.

Aaron Keyes has a song based on this Psalm that I sing to myself often...

I will dwell in the shelter of the Most High God
I will rest in the beauty of Your presence
Your faithfulness is my shield and my great reward
I will not be afraid
I will trust in the Lord




Let's place our trust in our Mighty Fortress.
Let's make His presence our dwelling place.
Let's rest in His faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment